If I was Georgio Osborne this is what I would do in the budget. I know some of this would be Scotland's responsibility but in general terms.
- HEALTH-10% CUT. I for one have got nothing but praise for the health service but as with all large organisations there is a lot of waste to cut. Drugs, GP's salaries and staffing in clinics but not wards could all be cut, to start with and there then is plenty more to be going on with.
- DEFENCE-Bring the troops home from Afghanistan and Iraq, cancel Trident and the Aircraft carriers.
- FREEZE BENEFITS-Everybody has to contribute something. Stop tax credits above £30k and means test child benefit and make it only payable up to two children.
- INCREASE TAX-Close tax loopholes, raise taxes above £50k and increase tax to 60% above £100k, increase CGT to the same rate as your nominal tax rate.
- CIVIL SERVICE-Slash top Civil Service pay. No-one should be earning more than the PM. Slash Civil Servants pensions to a maximum of £50k per annum with a corresponding fall down to £30k
- OTHER DEPARTMENTS-To make an immediate cut of 15% rising to 20% by 2013
- UPDATE-Sorry I forgot my old friend, INTERNATIONAL AID. THAT'LL SAVE £7.9 BILLION