Wednesday 30 June 2010

ARE YOU DIABETIC? CHECK IT OUT!


More than a million Britons are unaware that they have diabetes, an alarming study has found.
Cases of the disease are soaring along with the rising tide of obesity.  The new data indicates that 5.5million people could be living with the condition by 2030, leaving the NHS to pick up the bill.  Many people are unaware that they are suffering from the early stages of Type 2 diabetes. Regular check-ups can help.
Diabetics are at higher risk of heart disease, stroke, kidney failure, leg amputation and blindness.

I've got type 2 diabetes.  To say it has changed my life is an understatement.  I got a neuropathy called CHARCOT'S DISEASE which has left me struggling to walk.  Four of my GPs failed to diagnose it until it was too late.  At some point they put you on insulin injections.  That's not a problem unless you don't like needles, but the big problem is it piles the weight on which gives you other weight related problems.

But it's not all bad news.  I've managed to loose 52kg, around 8.5 stones and I've been able to come off insulin although I am still on other diabetes medication.  I've gone officially from being a RIGHT, BIG FAT BASTARD to only a FAT BASTARD!  Fantastic.  But if you're a bit overweight and you're constantly thirsty or you pee a lot, GET IT CHECKED OUT!  PLEASE.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good advice. A couple of my mates have contracted it...despite being warned they were on the verge, and all the tell tale signs you mention, they did nothing to reduce their weight. They never thought it would get THEM... but it did, and as you say, it's life changing.

Well done though on losing the weight. It's one hell of a site easier to put it on than to lose it.

Dark Lochnagar said...

Tris, yes I had that attitude as well, but once it gets you it gets you. I was unlucky enough to get this Charcot's which if it had been diagnosed earlier could have been dealt with. Only about 3% of people get it, so I suppose you can say I'm just a lucky bastard.

Dark Lochnagar said...

Rab, well that must be improving with the weight loss as a couple of women I didn't know,(I nearly said strange women there), smiled at me in a shop and that hasn't happened for a while. Mind you they did have a white stick and a guide do!